Moving Properties

Moving Out

Giving notice

You must give us 21 days written notice of your intention to move out by completing a Notice of Termination Form (available from your Tenancy Officer) and returning it to us.

If you do not give 21 days notice, we will still charge you rent through this notice period.

We will arrange a pre-vacation inspection of your home and let you know if there are damages you are likely to be charged for. You will not be charged for fair wear and tear.

You must:

  • remove all rubbish and unwanted items from the property.
  • leave the property in a clean condition including stoves, floors and windows.
  • steam clean carpets to remove all marks and stains (if necessary).
  • cut the grass, edge lawns, weed and tidy gardens.

You may also request to be present at the outgoing property inspection after you have left the property.

Providing a forwarding address

You must provide us with a forwarding address by law or you may be liable for a fine. If you don’t have a forwarding address, you can supply a contact address for a family member or friend who will be able to contact you.

Return of your bond

If you leave your property in a clean and tidy condition with no damages and no outstanding rent, water or tenant liability debts, all of your bond money should be returned to you.

If you owe us money

If you owe money for rent, water, cleaning, damages or other tenant liability, we will complete a Joint Application for Disposal of Security Bond form asking for the amount owed.

If you do not agree with the bond we request, you should not sign the form. Instead, please make an appointment with us so we can discuss the work carried out, re-check your in-going and outgoing Property Condition Reports (or any photographic evidence) and try to reach an agreement.

Going to Court

If we cannot reach an agreement about the bond with you, we will apply to Court for an Order to release it. The Court will decide how the bond is to be paid based on all the evidence both parties provide.

Free legal help and advice is available if you need to go to Court. Please ask one of our Debt Recovery Officers for more information.

If you owe more than the bond

If you owe more than the bond, you will need to make arrangements to pay this or we will seek a Court Order for payment and take action to recover the debt.

If you vacate your property but leave some of your possessions behind, we will follow legal processes to dispose of the items.


If your circumstances change and you need to move to another property, you may be eligible for a transfer. Circumstances making you eligible include overcrowding (such as a growing family who find the property is now too small) or under-occupying (a number of family members have left home and the property is now too big to manage). You can also apply if you have severe medical problems that make your current property unsuitable. If your need to move is urgent and this is supported by medical or support professionals, you should contact your Tenancy Officer for an assessment for a Priority Transfer.

Mutual Exchange Scheme

This scheme provides tenants the flexibility to swap homes. Any tenant that meets the Mutual Exchange criteria can join the Mutual Exchange Scheme. You do not have to provide a reason for moving, but tenants must be eligible for the property they wish to swap to. Please contact your Tenancy Officer for more details.