Report a repair

Housing Choices Tasmania has a dedicated maintenance section to deal with all maintenance related requests. This team is staffed by people with residential building knowledge and experience. We work closely with a panel of contractors who help us to maintain our properties.

Every 6 – 12 months, we conduct property inspections to ensure that you are taking care of your home. This helps us maintain the quality and standard of your home and to meet the expectations of current and future tenants.

If something is damaged or broken in your home, you can call our Repairs and Maintenance Hotline on 1300 512 583 to get it repaired.

This phone number can also be used for after-hours emergency repairs. Our after-hours service will only respond to reports involving the failure or breakdown of an essential service that may affect your safety or security, for example the breakdown of your gas, electricity or water supply.

In the case where damage has been caused due to extreme weather, for example flood or storm damage, please contact the emergency services in your area.

When you are reporting a repair to us, try to give us as much detail as you can. Please provide clear details of the issue, stating the exact nature of the fault or problem. The more we know about the problem, the easier it will be for us to fix it quickly.

Please ensure you allow contractors to access your property to undertake any repairs, inspections or maintenance required for your property.

The time it will take to complete your repairs will depend on the type of repairs that are required.


What is an urgent repair?


Urgent repairs are those that affect safety or security. This can also include the failure of an essential service.

These repairs will be attended to within 24 hours of your request:

  • a burst water service
  • a blocked toilet, sink or shower in a bathroom
  • a faulty toilet cistern
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • an electrical fault
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of any essential service or appliance for hot water, water, cooking, heating or doing laundry
  • the failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity, or water supply
  • any fault or damage in the premises that makes the premises unsafe or not secure
  • an appliance, fitting or fixture that is not working properly and causes a substantial amount of water to be wasted
  • a serious fault in a lift or staircase.


What is a priority repair?


We aim to attend to priority repairs before they turn into a more significant problem. These repairs will be attended to within 7 days of your request.

  • a dripping tap
  • a slow leak of the toilet or taps
  • the trimming of shrubs or trees over two metres that could potentially be dangerous
  • repairs to heating/cooling appliances
  • repairs to locks and doors where doors cannot be opened or premises are not secure
  • a faulty exhaust fan or range hood
  • a blocked toilet, sink or shower in an en-suite bathroom
  • a faulty cistern in an en-suite bathroom
  • a broken window blind
  • a cracked window or shower screen
  • pest control for apartment residents only
  • light replacement in common areas
  • flickering lights
  • overflowing gutters
  • faulty front sensor lights.

What is a non-urgent (general) repair?


General repairs are repairs that are required to fix relatively minor damage, and that do not fit into the ‘urgent’ or ‘priority’ categories.
These repairs will be attended to within 14 days of request.

Please call the Housing Choices Tasmania Repairs and Maintenance Hotline on 1300 512 583 to report a repair.

There are some things you are responsible for, like replacing light bulbs, garden maintenance, pest control and general house cleaning.


Repair Costs


We understand that over time there will be some deterioration due to the normal ageing process and use of the property. This deterioration is called ‘fair wear and tear’ and you won’t be charged for repairs and maintenance related to this.

You will be responsible for the payment of repairs if someone in your household has caused damage to the property. Damage to the premises that is the resident’s responsibility includes:

  • damage that is intentional
  • failure to take care to prevent damage (neglect)
  • failure to keep the premises in a reasonably clean condition
  • failure to restore the property to the condition it was in at the start of the tenancy, after allowing for fair wear and tear.

The following types of damage are typical of incidents where the resident may be responsible for repair costs:

  • broken windows, or punctured internal cabinet doors and walls
  • burns or other damage to carpets that cannot be considered fair wear and tear
  • broken and damaged clotheslines and hoists
  • broken locks, lost keys or keys that have not been returned at the end of a tenancy
  • damaged or missing doors and security screens
  • damage to toilets and basins
  • sewer chokes caused by items flushed down the toilet, such as sanitary pads, nappies or toys
  • any costs associated with the removal of rubbish or property such as furniture or vehicles left behind at the end of the tenancy
  • any unauthorised or unsatisfactory additions or modifications made to a property
  • any modifications that are completed without the permission of Housing Choices Tasmania may require you to rectify the works at your own expense.

Making changes to your home

General modification

You might wish to make improvements to your home. For example, add extensions to fencing or air conditioning. At Housing Choices Tasmania we want to work with you to make sure that any changes to your home are safe, completed to a professional standard and do not damage the property.

Any changes you wish to make requires Housing Choices Tasmania’s approval before work starts. If we approve the work, then in most cases you will need to cover the cost yourself.  Improvements that require local council approval will not be permitted.


Disability modification


You can request – either for yourself or for a household member – maintenance works that will improve the access and/or amenities of your property. These works are generally requested because the existing housing presents a health and/or safety risk for the disabled household member.

For us to determine the urgency of the request, we need supporting information from a health professional, e.g. an occupational therapist or medical practitioner. This information must confirm the need for and urgency of the modifications, the type of modifications required and how they will be funded if the request is for Housing Choices Australia to complete the works.

Modifications that we are likely to approve:

  • grab rails, hand rails, hand-held shower sets, fold-down shower sets
  • re-location/replacement of door handles and locks
  • lever or cap stand handled taps
  • thermostatically controlled hot-water system to bathroom only
  • heating and/or air-conditioning
  • wheelchair re-charging facilities
  • strobe smoke alarms and doorbell
  • picture hanging
  • dishwasher installation.

All modifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis


All modifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.   To apply for modifications to be made at your property please complete the online permit modification form.


Important information relating to plumbing work


Appropriate compliance certificates need to be provided for any plumbing work. Only a licenced plumber may issue a compliance certificate. A compliance certificate is how a licensed plumber self-certifies that the plumbing work complies with all legislative requirements.


Important information relating to electrical work


Whenever a licensed electrician completes any electrical installation work, they must provide a certificate of electrical safety. This work covers all work done on wiring where you can switch off the electricity at the switchboard. For example, this might include the installation or maintenance of safety switches, circuit breakers, power points, non-plug-in electrical equipment or lighting points within the house.