Making Changes to Your Home

A modification occurs where a tenant changes, removes, replaces or makes an addition to the property.

Housing Choices acknowledges that tenants may want to alter and improve the property to suit the needs of themselves and/or their family. Property modifications may be requested by tenants to improve the amenity of the property or if they have a disability, medical condition or may benefit from an aide to assist with day-to-day movement and living in the property.

At Housing Choices Australia we want to work with you to make sure that any changes to your home are safe, professional and do not damage the property. Any changes you wish to make requires Housing Choices Australia’s approval before the work starts.

If we approve the work, then in most cases you will need to cover the cost yourself. However, in some circumstances Housing Choices Australia may share the cost.

General modification

Tenants can request improvements or additional features to their property. If the works are approved by Housing Choices, in most cases the tenant will be required to cover the costs of the work.

Disability modification

You can request – either for yourself or for a household member – maintenance works that will improve the access and/or amenities of your property. These works are generally requested because the existing housing presents a health and/or safety risk for the disabled household member.

For us to determine the urgency of the request, we need supporting information from a health professional, e.g. an occupational therapist or medical practitioner. This information must confirm the need for and urgency of the modifications, the type of modifications required and how they will be funded if the request is for Housing Choices Australia to complete the works.

Modifications that we are likely to approve:

  • grab rails, hand rails, hand-held shower sets, fold-down shower sets
  • re-location/replacement of door handles and locks
  • lever or cap stand handled taps
  • thermostatically controlled hot-water system to bathroom only
  • heating and/or air-conditioning
  • wheelchair re-charging facilities
  • strobe smoke alarms and doorbell
  • picture hanging

All modifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis.

All modifications are assessed on a case-by-case basis. To apply for modifications to be made at your property please complete the online permit modification form.

Permit Modification Form

Important information relating to plumbing work

Gas compliance certificates are to be provided for any plumbing work. Only a licensed plumber may issue a compliance certificate.

A compliance certificate is the means by which a licensed plumber self-certifies that the plumbing work complies with all legislative requirements.

Important information relating to electrical work

Whenever a licensed electrician completes any electrical installation work, they must provide a certificate of electrical safety. This covers all work done on wiring where you can switch off the electricity at the switchboard. For example, this might include the installation or maintenance of safety switches, circuit breakers, power points, non-plug-in electrical equipment or lighting points within the house.