My Tenancy

My tenancy

Paying rent

Your rent is due two weeks in advance, in accordance with your lease. Remember, we’re here to help. So if you’re getting behind in payments and need to talk about anything that might be affecting your ability to pay your rent, please reach out to us.

Similarly, if you have a water use invoice or repairs invoice, and you are having difficulty paying by the due date, please contact your Housing Officer and we can work out an agreed payment plan.

If we notice that you are behind in paying your rent or water, we’ll contact you to talk about the situation, and offer to:

  • organise a repayment plan for you
  • refer you to a professional financial counselling service

For confidential financial advice you can contact the National Debt Helpline direct on 1800 007 007 or go to their website.


There are four ways to pay your rent

1.  If you are receiving Centrelink benefits, you can arrange for your regular deduction of rent to be paid direct to Housing Choices South Australia from your Centrelink payment using ‘Centrepay’ which is a free bill paying service.

This can be done online using your Centrelink online account through myGov using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device.

When setting up you will need to use the Housing Choices SA CRN number:

Housing Choices SA 555 070 282L and your Tenant ID:

For Port Augusta residents, the Housing Choices Port Augusta CRN is 555 099 407C.

2. If you do not have access to myGov you can contact your Housing Officer and request to complete and sign a ‘Centrelink Deduction and Confirmation Services’ form so we can organise your rent payments to be deducted or ongoing adjustments from your Centrelink benefits via Centrepay. We can supply you with a ‘Rent Card’ which can be used at ANY Australia Post Office or Facility.

3. ‘Direct Deposit’ can be done in person at ANY National Australia Bank (NAB) branch or transfer can be made on your mobile banking app as a transfer using Bank details which are:

National Australia Bank,
Housing Choices South Australia
BSB: 085458
ACC: 844066501

4. You can send us a cheque or money order from the Post Office for each payment. Please make sure you reference your name and address when sending in a cheque or money order.

Changes in household circumstances

It’s important you let Housing Choices know if people move in or out of your home, as this will change your household income, and may affect your rent.  Please notify your Housing Officer within 14 days if any of the following changes occur:

  • A household member begins or stops working.
  • There is a new (approved) household member.
  • A household member leaves.
  • A household member’s work hours change.
  • If a Centrelink benefit changes (For example, when a child turns 16 and you no longer receive family tax and/or parenting payments).
  • A child turns 18.

Household transfer

A resident may experience changes to their household, and may find their accommodation is no longer suitable for them or their family. Housing Choices SA may be able to assist with a transfer to another property that betters suits their needs.

To register for a transfer, you will have lived in your current home for at least 3 years.
All transfer requests must be discussed with your Housing Officer first and supported with a Housing Needs Assessment.

Each transfer application will be assessed based on need and considered together with other housing registrations.

To contact your Housing Officer telephone 1300 312 447 or email