We believe people have a right to complain

We commit to

  • Responding to complaints and appeals in a timely and fair way
  • Making our complaint handling and resolution process available to everyone
  • Taking all reasonable steps to investigate and resolve complaints within 30 days

Complaints and appeals can be made in the following ways:

  • In person
  • Via a representative or advocate
  • In writing (our complaint form is available below to help describe your complaint)
  • By email
  • By telephone

Learn More

Make a complaint

Giving feedback

When something is starting to go wrong, we encourage you to tell us so we can fix the issue as soon as possible.

You do not need to try this option before making a formal complaint.

You do not lose your opportunity to make a formal complaint if you choose to speak to us informally first.

Read our Feedback and Complaints Policy and Appeals Policy for more information.

Safe environment

We provide a safe environment to all residents and people including

  • Young people and children
  • People with disabilities
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
  • People from culturally diverse backgrounds; and
  • The advocates and representatives of all the above

Complaints about safety, abuse and neglect need to be managed by different systems. We will tell you which system and what to expect in these situations. Click the links below to learn more.

View the Compliments, Complaints and Appeals brochure here

View the Step-by-Step Guide for Our Complaints Process Here

External complaint options

Tenancy laws and dispute resolution in each state are managed by different bodies. Australia’s various residential tenancies authorities enforce their individual region’s Tenancy Act on behalf of their state or territory government. The organisations responsible for the administration of a Residential Tenancy Act are:

ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal (ACAT)
NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT)
Northern Territory Consumer Affairs and the Northern Territory Department of the Attorney-General and Justice
Queensland Residential Tenancies Authority
South Australia Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)
Tasmania Consumer, Building and Occupational Services
Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
Western Australia Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety and the Western Australian Magistrates Court. Strata tenants coming under the Strata Titles Act 1985 and the Strata Titles General Regulations 2019 can have disputes heard in the Western Australian State Administrative Tribunal (SAT)

Regulatory compliance

HCA is registered under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing (NRSCH). NRSCH investigates complaints that raise concerns about a registered community housing provider’s compliance with the regulatory code. Click here to access the NRSCH in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia and Tasmania.

In Victoria, the Registrar of Housing Agencies is the body responsible for regulatory system for non-government rental housing agencies. Please click here for further information.

In Western Australia, the regulation of community housing providers is undertaken by the Department of Communities, Community Housing Registration Office (CHRO) by way of the Community Housing Regulatory Framework (WA Framework). Please click here for further information on the Framework. HCWA is also an accredited mental health service provider. The WA Health and Disability Services Complaints Office ((HaDSCO) offers an impartial resolution services for complaints relating to health, disability and mental health services in WA.

The NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission is an independent agency established to improve the quality and safety of NDIS supports and services. They are responsible for regulating NDIS providers. If a complaint relates to specialist disability accommodation provided by the HCA Group, you can make a complaint directly to the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission. Please click here for further information.

Whistleblower policy

The Housing Choices Australia Group takes reports of serious wrongdoing or misconduct extremely seriously. We are committed to meeting our legal obligations to support and protect whistleblowers and to acting on any reports quickly and fairly. Contractors, former employees, support partners or residents, are welcome to use the Housing Choices whistleblower process. Whistleblowers can report anonymously. However, this may impact our investigation options.

Where the conduct to be reported may be criminal, Housing Choices fully supports and encourages prompt reporting to external parties such as the police, anti-corruption bodies or child safety regimes. Further guidance and information on our independent whistleblowing service reporting options are outlined in the Whistleblower Policy.