Find a home
Housing Choices Australia is committed to providing quality homes and managing secure affordable tenancies for its residents. We have properties in both urban and regional areas throughout South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.
We work with a wide range of support partner agencies to ensure our residents have access to support services in areas including disability, mental health, financial and crisis accommodation and with local government – to help them lead independent, rewarding lives.
Housing Choices Australia ensures the effective utilisation of housing by assessing households based on their particular circumstances and housing availability. We aim to ensure that the allocation of homes is provided in an equitable and efficient manner.
Depending on the programme and property type there are several different application and referral methods.
You can register your interest for long-term housing with Housing Choices Australia by completing an Application for Housing form and demonstrating that you meet the eligibility requirements. If your contact details change, please let us know so we can contact you when there is a suitable vacancy.
To provide better access and choice for those on the waiting list for public housing, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) has established a centralised process for public housing applicants who choose to also be referred to a Registered Housing Agency. We encourage people who are in need of affordable rental housing to also apply to the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services.
We also have properties that are managed in association with and by referral from support agencies to assist people with disabilities. For more information about this please contact us.
In Tasmania, you can only access our tenancies by making a public housing application via Housing Connect. Potential residents’ housing needs are then assessed against a number of housing-related factors. After assessment, residents are placed on a central waiting list where they can register to receive housing offers from both Housing Tasmania and community housing providers (such as Housing Choices Tasmania, depending on their suburb preferences). For more information on how to register with Housing Connect, please see the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services or contact them on 1800 800 588.
Eligibility criteria for access to housing is set by the relevant state government:
To be eligible for a tenancy with Housing Choices Australia, you need to meet the eligibility criteria as determined by the DHHS. DHHS guidelines require that applicants must live in Victoria and:
- be an Australian Citizen or a permanent resident
- not own or earn more than the current general public housing income and asset limits
- not be subject to Centrelink’s two-year waiting period for newly arrived migrants
- not own or part own a house, unit or flat
- repay any money that you owe us from a previous tenancy
- provide proof of identity, residency status and income
- provide other documents needed for each person applying.
To be eligible for a social housing tenancy within Tasmania, you must meet the eligibility criteria as determined by Housing Tasmania. You must:
- live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
- be an Australian Citizen or permanent resident
- be 16 years or older
- be a low income earner who is eligible for a Commonwealth Health Care Card
- not own a home of your own
- not have financial assets worth more than $35,000 including things like shares, property and money in the bank. This amount includes your assets and the assets of any other people who live in your household. It does not include things like your car or your household items.
Housing Choices Australia is responsible for the provision of housing services across a variety of housing products including social housing, affordable housing, supported housing and transitional housing.
For more information on our Allocation policy read more in the Housing section.