Join our team
Why work at Housing Choices?
It’s exciting times at Housing Choices working with us provides the opportunity to be part of an innovative not-for-profit organisation and work with a diverse, dedicated and collaborative group of people who are strongly committed to making a difference in our community.
Whether you’re working directly in our services supporting our residents or are in an office support role, you will play an integral role in helping us achieve our vision:
All people affordably housed in neighbourhoods that support life opportunities.
A great place to work
A career with Housing Choices will offer you rewarding experiences, opportunities for growth and the chance to make a difference. Housing Choices has a strong, viable financial base to grow from and we have a genuinely positive and connected culture that is guided by our vision and values. Here is our complete People and Culture strategy.
We are big on supporting, developing and rewarding our people. We aim to pay well within the sector and offer contemporary and meaningful benefits for staff. Here’s some of our offerings:
- Competitive and fair salary plus salary packaging, which can add up to $15,900 in tax-free pay per year plus other tax savings through meal/entertainment expenses
- Salary continuance insurance – income protection up to age 65 for you and your family if you are injured or fall ill.
Our career development
- Range of targeted learning and developed opportunities
- Individualised career plans and development and support through a range of options: formal qualifications, networking, secondments, mentoring, internal promotions, project management and succession planning
- Paid study leave and further study financial assistance
- Professional membership subsidy.
Our reward and recognition
- Flexible reward and recognition program to celebrate our peoples contributions
- Annual salary reviews.
Enhanced and paid leave options
- 14 weeks paid parental leave (primary care giver)
- Study leave
- A day off for your birthday
- A day off when we recruit a person you have referred to us (our people know us the best).
- Meaningful flexible working – variety of options for how, where and when staff work
- Purchase additional leave.
Our social and wellbeing
- An Employee Assistance Program, a free and confidential counselling service
- An active SWAT (Social, Wellbeing and Activities Team)
- An active health and well being program with regular Health and Safety initiatives
- Community service leave
We are always looking for motivated, skilled and talented people who believe in our vision and values.
Here are our current vacancies, we frequently advertise new positions, and positions regularly become available, so check back regularly. We are also always keen to hear from talented people who are enthusiastic about what we do.
Please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to HR by the nominated closing date.
If there are no current vacancies or you simply would just love to work for us, please send your details to our HR team and we will keep your resume on file and match to future vacancies.
What to expect after you have applied
This general information is intended to give you an overview of our recruitment process and hopefully will cover most FAQ’s. However if you need HR advice about your specific circumstances, please contact our HR team via our main switchboard number 03 8636 9400.
- Initial contact: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, usually by telephone to arrange a telephone and/or face to face interview. Unfortunately we are a small but dedicated HR team and we are unable to directly contact or provide feedback to every applicant at initial application stage. We hope you understand. You will receive an email message when you send your resume which provides a confirmation and advises that you will be contacted directly if shortlisted for interview.
- Our timings: These can vary according to position and availability of those staff involved in the recruitment process but we aim to recruit as responsively as practicable: often we interview within one week of closing dates.
- Phone interview: Not always, but often we will contact successful applicants for a short telephone interview. During this discussion, we will find out a little more about you, including what you are looking for from your next job role, your salary expectations and it’s an opportunity for you to ask any questions to make sure this is the right role for you.
- Face to face interview: If you are invited to attend a first or second face-to-face interview, you will meet your Manager, an HR team member and often, other members of the team. During the interview you will discuss your interest in working with Housing Choices, your motivations and values as well as your career history, skills and experience.
- Other recruitment methods: Usually we will make a recruitment decision after interview and reference checking, however from time to time we may ask applicants to undertake other selection methods i.e. undertake a ‘skills based’ exercise or provide scenario type responses as deemed applicable for the particular vacancy. We will always advise an applicant during the selection process if this is the case.
- Referees: If we consider you our preferred applicant, we will require the contact details of two referees to obtain references prior to making you a job offer. Ideally they should be people you have reported too in a work environment.
- Background checks: All new employees are required to undergo a Police Check. We will organise and pay for this check once you have provided all relevant documentation. Depending on your role, we may also require a Working With Children check and we will let you know if this is needed at the appropriate time.We strongly encourage you to be open and up front with us if there is likely to be any disclosure or finding that may arise through these checks. We can then have an honest discussion about your suitability for the role.
- Unsuccessful applicants: After you have attended interview we will contact you to provide constructive feedback.